Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

Thanks! I may have been able to have the computer help me

Customer Question

Thanks Steve! I may have been able to have the computer help me diagnose this, but the Data Link (DLC) is not working properly. I have two different OTC scan tools I have tried to hook-up, I have a good ground at #4 & #5, and I have power at #16. I checked
for pins that have pushed through, actually I did and I found my problem, but to no avail. Bimmer forum has some help, but I need a troubleshooting tree to help me diagnose the problem. I am an ASE Certified; High School Teacher, so I believe I can follow
some directions.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In ordr to be able to try and help you I need to know what year your 325I is, if you can send me the information I will see if I can help you find the cause of no communication with your scanner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2006 BMW three 25 x 3.0 L coop. Last seven numbers of the Vin are NK35349
Thank you for looking into this for me!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So the problem you are having is you can not get your scanner to comuncate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can find you some diagnostic steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have a good ground and power to the DLC and the scanner is working correctly then I would suspect your problem is with the computer, that being said I'm not seeing a flow chart available from BMW that will verify if that is the case. I am going to have to open the post back up for you and hopefully another may have access to the information you need. If they can help they will post back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for time