Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2010 BMW x35d, engine stalling, no error message

Customer Question

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question can I answer for you about this?
Are you wanting to know possible causes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 BMW x35d, sudden stalling of engine while underway, no warning felt normal right up to the moment it stalled. Pulled over, restarted engine, after a moment or trying to accelerate, stalled repeatedly. Flatbed home, started it up, didn't stall seemed normal revved up rpm's, eventually stalling. I get no "warning" messages from the on board computer. (see time ago I had an injector failure, computer read "Warning sudden loss of horsepower, safe to drive at low speed) I get no messages at all. Only thing I see is the illuminated engine symbol.
The car has been parked and used very little for a few months or so. Been driven minimally. I took it off the lot where i'm making it available for sale, added fuel, drove it last weekend 50 or 60 miles, then again yesterday. Maybe 40 miles or so, stopped to have a bite with my kids, when we got back in the car, drove 1/4 mile, then the stall happened. What is up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rather..."some time ago i had an injector...
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
this would most likely be a fuel pump failure, which would require pump replacement.
other possible causes could be a clogged fuel filter, another fixture failure, or injector issue
at this time fuel pressure will need to be tested and faults scanned from the vehicle's computer memory
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm you are available to respond and have received my messages above.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I have already replied. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty broad range of possible causes. If you are a BMW mechanic as experienced as you claim to be, can you be more specific. Of course it seems fuel related, I'm aware of that.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
it is simply not possible to be more specific with the information that is available.
it is most likely fuel pressure - meaning pump or clog - but even the #1 expert on this engine at BMW HQ couldn't give you a single cause based on the info you've provided - claiming certainty would be doing you a dis service.
Full diagnostics need to be carried out hands on to determine exactly the cause. There is no way to avoid this.
as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a rating of OK/3stars or higher.