Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2003 530i. First the check brake lights came on but both

Customer Question

2003 530i. First the check brake lights came on but both brake lights were working. Then the next day driving then all of a sudden, car justs dies and will not crank at all.
Friend suggested that the battery was bad. Had it checked and it was bad. replaced it. Lights came on but still would not crank whats so ever.
Frustrated, parked it and 2 days later, tried to figure out what was going on and found out the NEW battery was TOTALLY dead. What could be the issues??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly happened when you tried to start the car and it would not crank? Did it make boise when you tried? Anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOTHING. No crank at all. All lights on but nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a fully charged new battery but afraid to connect and have it completely drain again in 2 days without trying something
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
sorry for the delay I didn't receive a notification of your reply.
I would suggest you install the new battery then monitor it for any parasitic draw
if there is draw, then pull fuses one by one until the draw stops - this will identify the cause of the draw
if the car does not attempt to start at all with a charged battery, then the common causes are:
faulty immobilizer
faulty key
faulty transmissoin position or clutch switch
faulty starter
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.