CHEVYEATER351
CHEVYEATER351, BMW Technician
Experience:  Worked for BMW for 6 years, have current BMW master rating.
76711631

I need an experienced BMW tech. 2005 545i. Leaking like a

Customer Question

I need an experienced BMW tech. 2005 545i. Leaking like a stuck hog. on driver side of motor dumping onto bellypan. My question is on this 110k mile car, where do you guess the leak is coming from? As I look down on side of engine there is a plate that
the tranny cooler lines mount to about half way down side of block and leak might be above that. I don't need you to tell me the 56 places this leak could be coming from, I could probably list those, I would like your advice on the most likely suspect. It's
so miserable to get to anything on this car I was hoping some advice would help. Thanks Jack
Category: BMW
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Check the oil feed line to oil filter housing say 8" hose couple banjo fittings very common pretty simple job as well. Part avail. at bmw should be in stock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil filter on this one points straight down to the bot***** *****ke it's off the sump. It's on the very bottom. Is this the setup you are thinking of? I'd be surprised-let me take that back, nothing surprises me, be surprised if there were oil lines to this oil filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back in 30 min.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.
  1. sorry my fault wrong make up top there is a pressure valve hose goes to and goes to block behind p/s area up to top front of engine. I will try to get pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so you are on a V8 now. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, no on else has jumped on the bandwagon. Is there any way to bring more attention to my question?
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V8 545. leaking bad down left bank. Any idea where? Very hard to see.

Ok, based off what I read above, you have a 05 545i with an oil cooler. This should be a N62 motor. I have the same vehicle except mine is a 550 and what you are describing is the oil cooler housing seal. This seal is extremely difficult to see because it is located behind the oil cooler lines and the left motor mount. It is an oring sort of in the shape of the letter "T". This is a difficult job to perform at home for the weekend mechanic but possible. The motor has to be raised slightly so the left motor mount can be completely removed and the bracket that is bolted to the motor can also be removed, but the power steering pump has to be moved out of the way and really the best way to see all of this is on a lift. At the dealership I could do it in 3 hours with 40 to 50 replacements under my belt. Most of the other guys in the shop would take 8 to 10 hours to get the job done. You will need to seal and the o-rings to the oil cooler hoses and make sure that you do not bent the lines or they will not seal. These oil leaks would come in all the time for exactly the reason you are stating, the customer would say I have a large oil leak but can not pin point it on the left side of the engine. Other than that seal, the upper timing case cover and the valve cover there is no other place for an oil leak!

If I have answered you question please give me a positive rating so I will get compensated for my time, even after you rate me I can still answer questions you have about this and I will.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get this right. behind the left motor mount is an adaptor on the side of the block that oil cooler lines come off of. Would those be the black lines I could see running along the side of the motor? We are a real shop w lift and i'm a pretty creative old dude so now I am challenged to try and do this in 5 hrs. Just did a BMW six banger oil filter housing to block seal but from what I see that was cake compared to this. So do you do most of this from underneath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose the thing has a bunch of aluminum torx bolts because it'sa Bimmer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chevyeater351? Like a ford 351? You don't want to mess with my poncho 421.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heading home. I 'll keep this open because I will probably have more questions as it comes down. Thanks Jack

Ok with the information you gave me about a shop, this is a job that I do mostly under the vehicle. The seal is actually on the motor mount that is bolted to the block! This is why it is so hard to see where it is coming from. What I do is to unbolt the motor mount 15 mm nut from the top and then go up with the vehicle. From under the vehicle I move everything that is in the way and completely remove the motor mount from the vehicle from the front of the engine bay. I say this because all those items have to be out of the way to remove the mount bolted to the block. The power steering pump can be unbolted and pushed off to the side, because if the fluid is drained you will need to do a suspension calibration. There is many torx bolts but none of them need replacing. When I get to the point of the mount removal I use a screw jack with a block of wood and raise the motor and since the right side is still bolted in the left side will raise at the angle you need to remove the mount, the remove the bolts that hold the mount to the block and remove the mount. When you look at the surface up against the block you will see the oil passage on the block and the seal on the mount. The power steering hoses that are bolted to the mount are a little difficult to remove(unbolt) but you can do it, try not to bend it to much or reassembly will be very difficult and the lines can also be moved out of the way.