Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I got a 2003 bmw 525i and my car drives in limp mode I

Customer Question

I got a 2003 bmw 525i and my car drives in limp mode I think, because it feel like it only drive in 3 gear, I went to auto zone to get the code read, and the codes I is p0174,p0171,p1763,p1085 but I really need to get my car out of limp mode so I don't blow my transmission, please help me!!!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What kind of help are you seeking with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a 2003 bmw 525i and it only drive in 3 gear, I went to auto zone to get a codecode check, the code are p0174,p0171,p1763,p1085, I just want to get my car out of limp mode so I don't blow my transmission
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi,
I am still not sure what help you are seeking with this?
do you want to know possible causes?
a shop recommendation?
something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shop recommendation, on how to get my car out of limp mode and about this code p1763?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
that code is for a shiftlock solenoid issue.
that is likely what is causing limp mode, but diagnosing limp mode using generic p codes is not 100% accurate and can be misleading
the best way to deterine the root cause is to have a proper diagnostic carried out with an actual BMW scan tool at a specialist shop with the proper equipment for this - you can find one on www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org
if you are unwilling to make this investment in a proper diagnostic, then you can try replacing the shiftlock solenoid or shift tower
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.