sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The outside drivers door handle wouldn't work so I did a

Customer Question

The outside drivers door handle wouldn't work so I did a quick fix that I heard about to use until I got the new handle carrier ordered. Now both handles have gone out and I can't get the door open to fix it. I partially dislodged the door panel with the door still closed, but I can't seem to reach anything to manually open it. Is there anyway to get the door open to fix it with both handles out at the same time.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry forgot to mention 2005 BMW X5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Getting the door open is going to require getting inside the door while it's closed to diagnose the issue and go from there. The issue with the inside handle could be the handle itself, linkage, or the problem may be a failed latch. You'll need to get the door panel removed enough to access the inside handle and linkage to see what's going on there. If it's just the handle that is broken or the linkage is off at the latch then you should be able to move the linkage at the latch by hand and open it.

If it won't open when moving the linkage at the latch directly and the inside handle and it's linkage are intact then the latch has failed and will need to be replaced.