peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2003 BMW X5 3.0 with 130000 miles. Today the car

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 BMW X5 3.0 with 130000 miles. Today the car went into fail safe mode at a red light and stalled out.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to restart the car but it stalled out again 5 minutes later. I bought a new battery a few weeks ago. Is this the maf sensor?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs to be done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to help locate and repair the fault here.Usually when it goes into a fail safe/limp mode one or more codes will be set related to this fault here that will need diagnosed to locate and correct this fault.

It is possible this is the MAF sensor itself but it may be other components like the electronic throttle body or another sensor or component on the engine or transmission that can cause this when acting up.This is why the codes do need checked/read out to help diagnose and locate the fault here for repair.If you can get the codes checked (in some cases places like Auto Zone can check these at no cost to you) and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.