peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

X5: I have a 2004 X5 E53 4.4i and when i try to start it i

Customer Question

X5: I have a 2004 X5 E53 4.4i and when i try to start it i get a long crank but no turnover. After a couple of attempts the battery dies, any idea what it could be ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

One common component to cause a no start with extended cranking is the fuel pump itself.The pump is common to fail needing replaced when it does fail.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this should be done.If you need the info on how this is done let me know.This will require a fuel pressure test gauge to do this test.

As for the battery dying after only a couple of attempts you may have a weak battery as well to where the battery may need replaced.I would have the battery tested to see if the battery needs replaced.This test can usually be done at a local parts store free of charge.

But one of the most common causes for a no start issue is usually the pump itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Battery is new and was tested already, any other idea why I get a long crank and no turn over ?

If the engine is cranking but isn't starting at all the most common cause is usually the fuel pump itself needing replaced.It fails suddenly like this here.I have had to replace several of these before for this issue here.I would have the pump pressure and the pump power and ground signals tested to make sure this is the cause.

One other component that can possibly fail here is the crank sensor but fuel pump failure is more common.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have the fuel pump tested and if necessary replaced and let to know how it worked out. Thank you

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete