Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

Airbag light on dash. Brake light on dash. Warning indicator

Customer Question

Airbag light on dash. Brake light on dash. Warning indicator on dash lit up. Scan tool, says cannot communicate with data bus Inspection of brake pads show the brake pads are very low, rotors are grooved and rusty. Please advise. See pictures attached
of the lights on the dash, and the vin number. Thanks 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5 L, 152 CID GAS WBACN33431LM02963
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see pics here
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Anytime the Air bag light comes on the computer system will set and store a fault code and or codes. I order to determine what is failing you are going to need to scan the system using a factory compatible scan tool. A simple code reader will not retrieve Air bag codes. The red brake light can come on if the brake system is low on fluid so the first thing you need to do it replace the worn break parts and make sure the break fluid level is correct after doing so. In most cases that will resolve the break light concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We used out snap on scanner, direct link, and it says cannot communicate. I believe we need a factory scan tool here. We will inspect brake components further and let you know. The yellow hazard light on the dash, thats on because of the brake light and airbag light right?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I think you are correct, BMW is pretty touchy when it come to retrieving Air bag codes. The break light and the air bag light are not likely related. I would get the breaks replace if there worn and make sure the fluid level is correct iand I suspect the break light will clear its self after doing so.