Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have ab 2002 530i cold start issue

Customer Question

i have ab 2002 530i cold start issue
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello,
what question did you have about your cold start issue?
what exactly is the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hI sTEVE, IT JUST STARTED YESTERDAY IT WOULDNT START I HAD TO DRAIN BATTERY THEN HAVE IT JUMPED.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it runs smooth after start just wont crank after sitting all night
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the most common cause of this type of issue would be a failed fuel pump check valve, leaky fuel injectors or possibly a bad temp sensor.
all of the above are easy for a professional to definitively check.
if you need a shop for this repair, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light appeared. Can i take it to Auto Zone to have the code checked. Im on the road atm scared to shut it off
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
I would suggest having the code read. You will eventually have to shut it off, worst case you will need to have it towed if it does not restart. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a common issue with this model and year? Also just curious, I have a 2000 watt stereo system would this possibly cause an issue with battery crank voltage or with the charging system?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
no this is not THAT common but it does happen.
if the starter cranked over, then there is no reason to suspect a battery / charging system issue. A drain on the battery again is something that can be easily tested for in a definitive fashion by a professional should symptoms suggest it as a cause - which they currently do not.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello, are you having a technical problem selecting a positive rating?