Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Blue smoke oozing out of exhaust in 2009 BMW X6 (N63

Customer Question

Blue smoke oozing out of exhaust in 2009 BMW X6 (N63 engine). Last oil change had Valvoline Synthetic 5W-40. I renewed oil yesterday using Castrol Edge 5W-30 and exhaust still oozes blue smoke. Please advice me.
Category: BMW
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this issue.

How many miles are on you vehicle? Sounds to me like it could be 1 of two possibilities.

1. Oil level is not correct

2. The turbo seals are bad

The first step is an easy fix while the second not so much. These engines are know to have turbos go bad all the time. I was replacing them all the time while under warranty. Depending on the mileage, if you are sure the oil level is correct then when I get the mileage from you I will make some suggestions to the turbo issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Oil level is correct and the mileage is 19,401.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you an image of the breather hose. One of them is cracked and was sealed using a tape. I think we need to consider this also.

Yes any type of crankcase leak can cause an issue, but with that low of mileage I would suggest looking over all the crank case hoses and if the vehicle still smokes then take it to the dealer and pay the diagnosis fee. When they give you an estimate ask for Goodwill assistance. BMW is having a lot of issues with the Turbo seal, crankcase ventilation and the fuel system on that engine due to the reversed intake and exhaust setup. If you have not had the vehicle at the dealer in a while there may be open recalls for these items. Another check you can do if you are skilled enough is pull the turbo inlet hoses back and see how much oil is in the turbo, if there is a substantial amount of oil then it is also in the intake and pushing that oil through the motor as well. The Turbo seal going bad on the N63 causes all kinds of issues with pushing oil everywhere to the point that in some cases the intakes have to be removed and the oil has to be cleaned out.

I would like to also add that one of the crank case hoses is missing the clips at one end to keep it secured and it also has a hose connected between the two ends. This hose should be replaced for sure. The pressure build up could cause the hose to come disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I need to let you know that things are a bit different where I am. The car is in Nigeria (West Africa) and the local BMW dealer here is enjoying a huge monopoly across the west African region. We also do not have a functional consumer protection agency, so they get away with all sorts of cheat. I operate an independent garage and specialize on Landrover brands. I however do fix other cars as long as I can lay my hands on manuals and useful information. The owner of this car was overwhelmed by a very huge bill given by the dealer and all the ridiculous false declarations associated with it. She had to withdraw the car and brought it over to my workshop yesterday. I have studied the working principle of the engine and it has helped me to understand all you have said. What I will like you to do for me is to assist me with relevant diagrams for the recommended fix. Thank you.

I will have to open this question to someone else. This amount of diagrams and information is to be honest is books and books worth, plus the repair will run into a huge amount of unknowns. I am telling you this because in the limited information environment you are at it is going to be an enormous challenge. I will leave it up to you, but I am not sure you will get all the information you will need to get the job completed. I will be waiting for your reply on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your honesty. I really do agree with you that we are in a limited info environment. It is just by sheer luck that a handful of mechanics like myself have had international training and work exposure in developed countries. Some of us are just blessed to have the kind of intelligence required to operate and succeed in this kind of difficult environment. In the past, on few occasions, I have used the "Just Answer" service to get around a lot of problems with my customers vehicles and I have found the service very useful. I only hope that this will not be different. Please go ahead and make your consultation or transfer to someone else. We just need to fix this car. Thank you so much.

Ok I will opt out. I will keep an eye on this, let me know if I can help in the future.

Thanks

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Following our last discussion, I am not too sure of getting the help I need on this site. I am opting out as well and would be requesting a refund. Cheers!

I have forwarded the request for you.

Thanks for using Just Answers and please come back in the future.