JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

2002 745li How do I do a secondary air pump test with

Customer Question

2002 745li How do I do a secondary air pump test with rheingold? I know there's a way to do the test
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Which version of Rheingold are you using? Can you provide the VIN of the vehicle so I can walk you through to locate the test plan?

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using version 3.41 and my vin is dr06299
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

First connect the vehicle and performed a vehicle test. After the vehicle test is complete, select information search under the activities tab. Then select the function structure tab. Next, select 01 drive; then Engine control; then secondary air system, next select start search. This will pull up various test plans and wiring diagrams. Choose the "ABL" for secondary air pump; this will perform a function test for the air pump.

Hope this helps, please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not letting me rate?
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

It should allow you to rate now.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more quick question. When I run the test it come back with different problems every time. Secondary air bank 1 and 2 not ok. Secondary air throughput too low on bank 1. Secondary air throughput too low on bank 2. Each time it's different. I've already cleaned the ports and replace the check valves with new hoses.
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

What method did you use to clean the ports? How is the air volume coming out of the pump? Can you feel warm air out of the tail pipe when you run the system test and the pump is active?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a long wire brush and carb cleaner. Also 100 psi of compressed air. There was some restriction before but now i can blow into the hole after the check valve with ease. both were pretty restricted before but i was only getting a code for 1 side. when i run the test with the car off i can feel air coming from the tail pipes and it seems like a decent amount . I assume the air flow is good coming from the pump. I run the engine running test and it comes back with a different problem each time. I'm Stumped.
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

The ports inside of the cylinder head need to be cleaned. This cannot be done using just a wire brush. My guess is the ports are still restricted and there isn't enough flow because of this. This is why the test is failing.

-JP