camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 2007 BMW 530 I recently replaced the crank shaft

Customer Question

I have a 2007 BMW 530 I recently replaced the crank shaft seal I remove the balancer and found a belt wrapped around it I replaced it drove it no leaks ran beautifully Amco transmission had previously worked on the car that I did not know about and did not tighten up the center crankshaft bolt which I never touched it loosened up while I was driving oil leaked out of it and the car went dead I pulled over I look under the hood loose belt came off loose balancer I toted back to my shop tightened up the bolt and it had no compression upon starting when I took off that actuator on top of the valve cover it had plenty of compression no spark I hook everything back up I check the timing marks everything seems to be on the money no bent valves it's giving me a starter operation code and has no spark and will not start and will be in zero compression as long as that actuator is hooked up
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the area where the belt came off and see if the belt had damaged any electronics like a crank sensor or any other engine sensors or wiring.I have seen before where wiring or electrical components are damaged due to the belt coming loose and will cause this issue here.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get no spark, and the actuator on the valve cover seems like it's pulling the intake cam to where I get no compression once I relieve that pressure I get compression but still no spark is the crank sensor that big unit right next to the harmonic balance her I thought the crank sensor was towards the back by the transmission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a large sensor by the crank some of the wires are afraid I had pulled on them to make sure they were still intact and they are separated them and I still get no spark

The crank sensor should be located at the back of the engine towards where the transmission bolts up.Did you check to see if any fault codes sure set at all using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers?If so what codes are set?

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only codes were cam inlet code and starter operation code I cleared everything possible and reset cas but no matter what I do starter operation code comes back the engine cranks For 5 sec the stops then I have to push button again to crank again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aob4 code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any word??

This is definitely a difficult question for me to answer fully myself from here.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

Im cam,

Have you tried a hard reset?

IF the harmonic didnt damage anything when it cam off, im wondering if it jusst threw the modules into a lock or sleep mode.

I have had a few bmr's solve some strange issues like this just by reseting the entire computer system.

just disconnect the battery cables and join them together for about 5 minutes.

This will reset the ecm and hopfully get you going.

Its a $0 cost shot.

let me know

cam

And sorry, but kind of a silly question, but the oil level is fine right? lol

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil level is right will try battery disconnect tomorrow and Let you know I thought about doing that with the battery but did not try it

Im amazed at some of the weird problems this has solved on most german cars in the past. for what it costs ($0) its worth a try.

make sure to leave cables connected for a good 5 mins

talk tommorow

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this in the past, but my mind was thinking deeper, hey if it works I'll take it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I tried it for at least an hour come back and it spins over like it has no compression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said if I remove that actuator on the inlet Cam you hear it spring forward and then I can hook it back up and it will spin with compression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a modis scanner and when I go to my engine immobilizer screen and punch up codes it gives me an A0B4 engine starter operation code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and the vehicle does crank, just does not start,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm doing the hard reset again ant this time I released the tension on the actuator so it will have compression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions that did not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if the I mobilizer is the issue because of the code maybe have to do a re-flash

hi again,

sorry for the late reply, i was doing some searching and speraking to a few other techs.

The weird part is this did this after the harmonic came of, Its possible that something might have gone internal because of it.

I dont think i can help any further, I appologize for that.

Im sure you want to get to the bottom of this so im going to opt out, and im hoping a beamer tech will see than and point you in the right direction.

Good luck and if you can please give me a pm to let me know what you found.

thanks again for trying the hard reset.

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know I could have more than one problem, maybe I was one sidedly thinking because it came loose it was the cause, I could have a bad crank sensor and this all was a fluke, I'll put my scanner on it and watch rpm while I crank, if no reference I'll think sensor