Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

Got a question about a 2007 r56

Customer Question

Hi got a question about a 2007 r56
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to help you we need to know what type of problem you are having, please explain with complete details and we can work from there to try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron thanks. ***** here is the problem. It is a 2007 mini r56 non turbo. It will not start. No engine code at the moment. What I notice is that the red light over the tachometer is on. Moreover there is no power to the individual coils whatsoever. Not sure what is happening to this car?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

When you say it will not start are you saying it will not crank over or it cranks but does not start and run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. It cranks but will not start. We pulled the ignition coils and there is no spark. That led crescent red light over the tachometer has been on since this problem began. Could it be the immobilizer ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the immobilizer can not read the key then yes it will not allow the car to start, that being said in most cases the system will set and store a fault code and or codes. Are you sure there are no fault codes setting? Have you tried your spare key, try switching keys, wait 10 to 15 seconds before trying a different key in the ignition and see if that will allow it to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If in case the immobolizer has kicked in, will it crank and not start? Or will nothing happen?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It will crank and not start and as I stated, the system will usually set and store a fault code and or codes.