Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 330i keeps giving crank shaft position

Customer Question

hi I have a 330i keeps giving crank shaft position
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code I changed sensor 4 times wiring for the harness is correct I just swapped out the motor and still dsc light is on and car turns on but very sluggish on acceleration after a certain speed it drives a little better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello is someone available to help me please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

the code for a faulty crank sensor and a faulty cam sensor are often confused by generic code readers

also a faulty crank sensor usually results in no engine start so

I'd suggest replacing the cam sensor as the next step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive replaced those the cam sensor both of them crank shaft code says intermittent checked teeth on fly wheel checked teeth on on crank both look good please help me
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

next step is to check the state of the wiring loom from the cam and crank sensor into the ECU, any insulation damage or hard sections of wire ( indicating a short circuit) need to be repaired

if this all looks OK then measure the continuity between the ECU plug and the sensor plugs

also check the condition and tightness of the small earth wires that run out of the loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals as these are the ECU specific earths

I suspect the cam and / or the crank signal is being corrupted into the ECU and giving a false timing

if all of this checks out then I'd send the ECU off for testing / repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do you recommend i send it too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i buy a used ecu and swap it in
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

these firms should be able to help

http://www.ecudoctors.com/

http://stores.digitalautotech.com/StoreFront.bok

and just fitting a used ECU won't work I'm afraid as it will need coding to the security system

you can get another ECU and get a BMW specialist to do this coding work of course

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.