gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 1998 BMW 740i and i am experiencing a posible

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1998 BMW 740i and i am experiencing a posible problem..What is going on is when i get out on a open road and bring the car to a steady speed where i am not acellerating or coasting and its in the automatic mode not manual, i get a intermediate sound that almost sounds kinda like a slight sputter grumble sound and then it kicks back into a smooth drive and will repeat this over and over..and takes about 2 to 3 seconds to jump from one mode tot he other. If i put the care in manual mode. It will not do it..So I am not sure if this has to do with the overdrive. i would guess to me that it almost sounds electrical..An there is no codes coming up or check engine light. This will happen also at any speed as long as its somewhat in a neutral motor speed. any ideas? Thanks Ray
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

When this happens, does it feel like it drops down a gear briefly, or more that the engine is surging

How many miles on it? How many miles since last transmission fluid service?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you for as much detail as possible and on occasion may need to ask for more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To answer your questions it feels like a surging, it has 107,000 miles on it and I just bought the car and the lady said she has had everything maintained on schedule and the care is immaculate so I can't be sure on the tranny oil change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also just looked into the specs for this car in my owners manual and it says lifetime fluid, no guild change required. An the levels are good when I did check it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Surging is more an issue with the engine but because it doesnt do it in manual mode, that makes it transmission control system. I am not sure what this will be and will opt out to see if another expert has an idea

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help and the referral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if this was the issue, would that come up as a code?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me like the circuit for the torque converter clutch is kicking on and off. It should set a fault if it is the electrical portion of the control circuit.