Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2009 328i coupewith only 9,925 miles has ABS brake and

Customer Question

Hi Roger, My 2009 328i coupewith only 9,925 miles has ABS brake and traction control light on. I think the problem started when I loaded some magazines in the trunk and about 15 minutes the light came on. I immediately removed them from the trunk and after driving the car the lights went out. a couple of days later they were back on. I have driven the car but lights remain on. can they be reset?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
unfortunately if the lights are on, that means a fault is currently present.
if the issue truly went away, then the lights would reset themselves when the car was restarted.
so, this means that unfortunately you will need to have the underlying issue fully diagnosed and repaired before the lights can be turned off and full abs/traction control functionality restored.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it not possible to just reset the lights. What would need to be repaired after only having the books I loaded in the trunk for 15 minutes?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
The lights reset themselves if the issue is gone, so there is no need to reset them. The lights are on now because an active fault is present and the abs/traction system is offline.
The books could very well be coincidental - I suspect they are.
The fault logs need to be read out to verify the nature of the underlying fault that is triggering the generic driver warning lights. Most commonly it is a failed wheel speed sensor, failed steeering angle sensor, or failed abs computer.
If you need a shop for this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
.