Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

2002 528i shop replaced motor from other one over heated

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****- 2002 528i shop replaced motor from other one over heated replacement doesn't fire they have had it at two shops trying to located issue but cant find it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: cranks no start
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure as well as compression, can you check each one of these thing and post back with which one you are lacking and I will try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put 12v to cam sensor ( front upper right on head) it starts for a few seconds the shuts off otherwise it just cranks with no start. vehicle has fuel, spark, compression.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So are you lacking injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been to two shops neither indicated that to me. I don't have equipment to test that but have stumbled upon adding 12v to the cam sensor which made it run for a minute when I do that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That sure sound like you have a wiring problem, you do not need any special tools to check for injector pulse, you can use a standard 12 volt test light to check for pulse, place the test end of the light on the power side of the injector connector and the ground end on the other wire and crank the engine over, if you have pulse, the light should flash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright found blown 30amp fuse EF2 once replaced vehicle starts then dies never has it started since motor replacement but now start dies since it starts it would be my conclusion that it has spark pulse fuel compression. something like security of fuel beyond initial prime of fuel may be issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 2002 525i not 528
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

From what you describing not it sounds like you have a security system active. This is often caused by the system not being able to read the key. Are you able to scan the system now and see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have that equipment to do that.
Is the start and immediately die symptom of security on this vehicle does it just shut down fuel or spark beyond intial start or does security stop vehicle from turning over and I wouldn't get initial start? is there a way to reset security I have used key remote to lock unlock that didn't work I used key to physically lock and unlock doors that didn't work. I really don't want to take to dealer it was running before I replaced motor, would everytime you disconnect battery it has to go to the dealer for security?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was I don't have the equipment to do that . sorry
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The security system shuts down the injectors. It should not loose the ability to read the key when you disconnect the battery but it sure dose sound like that is the case. Unfortunately if that is the case you are going to need to take it to the dealer or one other option you may have is there are some locksmiths that have the programming ability and the equipment. You may want to call around and see if there is one in your area that can come out to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright my concern is all buttons on key function and there is no security light on dash panel, I just want to clarify before spend key money security system problem will let the car start every time I cycle the key but will not let car stay running correct or will security not let the car even turn over. also I have not checked fuses under the pass. seat would f107-f114 cause the system I am having.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You can verify this by checking to see if you have injector pulse when ti will not start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright Ron your gonna owe me refund or credit.cranks but no start
2002 525i blown ef2 30 amp fuse
after replace fuse cranks starts for brief seconds and dies.
unplug MAF vehicle runs and idles fine with out touching accelerator.
Diagosis: BAD M.A.F.whatcha think ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I am not paid anything unless you rate the service my which have not done . If its now starting and running with out pressing the gas it is possible the MAF is bad but its also possible you have a fuel pressure concern. In most cases a bad MAF will set a fault code . Scan the system and see if you have any fault codes and if it where me, I would also check the fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron I was being funny about the payment.I am glad though you will be able to use this sinererio for future clients
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No problem, Thank you just the same.