Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

I used the key to manually close top on my BMW 328i.How far

Customer Question

I used the allen key to manually close top on my BMW 328i.How far do I turn the allen key? Till I can't anymore? if I resync motors for top does that mean I have to use allen key to lift top slightly before opening with motors?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Normal you turn the allen key till the top is closed , that being said if you can give me the year of your BMW and explain with complete details I will try and help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The top went from working to not and so I disengaged the top motors. The car is a 1997 BMW 328i. The top is fully automatic. The goal here is to get the top working again. When I finally got the top closed manually,many things had happened. The question about the allen key is this---once top is closed with the allen key and motors resynched is it ok to use motors or does top need to come away from windshield with allen key?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The top should open on its own if everything is working, you should not have to move it away. Have you tried it to see if it will now move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,but I will reconnect motors and try. More later,going to work.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

BMW has two different top options; semi automatic and fully automatic. To do the initialization procedure if the top is up and secured to the top of the windshield and it is in default mode for the fully auto top, you have too manually release the front part of the top attached to the windshield by removing the cover for the release motor just above the rear view mirror turn the motor by hand until it starts to bind up the top cranes back away from the windshield. Once released inspect the control linkage for damage. Make repairs before trying to operate the top. When operating the top after initialization, monitor the movement and stop if any binding occurs while closing.
The controller can be scanned with a factory tool and has data stream information as per the switch positions.

See the initialization procedure in the link below, give this a try and see if this will solve your concern. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/convertable%20top%20Oct%206.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is default mode?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its the mode the system sets when its not working as it should. Try the procedure I sent you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To say the least ,this is unclear. I do not know what you mean by default mode.Let's start again.The top is currently closed. Your procedure is for the top being open. Do I need to manually open the top,then do the procedure?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Try is as it is first and if works normally then you good to go, if it does not then try the initialization procedure and see if this then works normally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor for the top re-engaged.The motor for the cover will not re-engage. I can feel the gear is not lining up with the hole. Something(??) is forcing it out of place.Originally,when I disengaged them both, this motor was stuck and I had to pry it loose. What next?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I have done all I can from here, Further testing is going to require some hands on inspection as well as testing. With out being there to do this I can not say what it next. If you would like I can open the question back up for you and see if someone else has something else to offer. Let me know.