Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.8is. The HVAC panel (7.5amp) fuse

Customer Question

HI,
I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.8is. The HVAC panel (7.5amp) fuse keeps blowing. I can change the fuse and the unit will run for a while (10 mins to an hour) - even blows the fuse on the highway. Aux fan is working. Air is cold when it works. I've pulled the display and cleaned out the "cabin sensor fan" with my air compressor. No luck. I'm kinda stuck. Chafed wires?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LE81453
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what fuse # ***** is blowing? fuse 34?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 48
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
thank you
I have reviewed the wiring diagram for your vehicle.
unfortunately this is almost certainly an internal fault with the hvac control panel
chaffed wiring would be exceptionally rare, although technically possible. it is rare enough that I would not consider it worthwhile attempting to run down.
you 99.9% need to replace the hvac panel.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello, are you having a technical problem selecting a rating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A technical problem selecting a rating? Don't you think that's a little patronizing?
You said I need a new HVAC panel. I'm in the process of finding one. Used - $350, New $649.
How can I rate you before I get a new panel?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
The question has been answered so. I was checking if you were experiencing an iSsue with the site.
The question was "chaffed wires?"
The answer is no, the panel is bad.
If you would like to follow up after leaving a rating, you are free to. Do so without additional charge. You have already been charged to place your question, rating ensures I am properly credited for my time and answer.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.