Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2002 x5 (4.4) has code 90 and keeps going in & out of

Customer Question

hello - my 2002 x5 (4.4) has code 90 and keeps going in & out of limp mode , any suggestions
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

******* THIS IS NOT AN ANSWER, I JUST NEED MORE INFORMATION ********

.

How are you reading the codes?

.

Any service light(s) on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reading codes with pro scanner and lots of lights on - yellow triangle in center, red exclamation , abs, and check engine.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. I don't seem to have anything on that code, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last 7 digits - LH30195-thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
is it going in to transmission limp mode, or engine limp mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay- transmission fail safe comes on dash. After it sits over night just the check engine light stays on till I drive it for 5 miles and than all the lights return
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
please take care to rate my answer as there are two experts involved.
you have asked for "any suggestions"
code 90 and your symptoms suggest a failed abs/dsc module. I would suggest sending yours out for repair or investing in a proper real time diagnostic with a factory BMW scan tool at a dealer or properly equipped BMW specialist to verify
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.