CHEVYEATER351
CHEVYEATER351, BMW Technician
Experience:  Worked for BMW for 6 years, have current BMW master rating.
76711631

I have a couple spare fiber optic loops and would like to

Customer Question

Hello I have a couple spare fiber optic loops and would like to bypass the CD player in my 2004 BMW 745li. Where is the fiber optic connection located and can I bypass it ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, to pull up schematics and location diagrams, I need the 17 digit VIN number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you. It is WBAGN63524DS55058.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, there most be some wiring differences depending upon production date as now it is asking for this for the audio diagrams. Look on the driver side door and door sill. There should be a manufacturer sticker with month and year of production. I need that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll do that, it says 07/04
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Well shucks. I only have for up to 12/03. I will have to opt out on this one and see if another expert has the needed schematics- sorry about that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for looking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello is this question closed ? or should I still wait ?
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes I do still need help.

Sorry for the delay, just to get the info straight. You would like to bypass the 6 disc changer to be able to use the Audio System. You have determined that the Fiber Optic light goes into the CD Changer, but does not come out and go into the M-ASK(Head Unit). And just to be clear it is the CD Changer located above the glovebox.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to bypass the single disc cd changer. The cd option is grayed out in the menu. I have no audio, door chimes or sound coming from the parking sensors. I'd like to bypass the CD player (pictured) and see if that brings back the radio, door chimes etc

Ok, that is the M-ASK which is the main unit in the fiber optic system. You can not bypass this. What you need to do it determine when the Light is not present on the exit, but is present on the input. You need to go to the left rear of the trunk and find the modules located there. You will have a bluetooth module and an audio module at the very least. You nee to see if you have light going into each of the modules. There may be more than two. The connectors may only be the fiber optic and some may have wiring with the fiber optics. Usually what happens is the power strut on the left side leaks fluid and runs down on the modules and shorts them out if the vehicle is equipped with a power trunk. You can by pass these with a loop, but if the connector has wiring in it you will need an inline optic cable connector and not a loop. You can pull the connector off the optic loop and bypass it by hand to see if the audio comes back up. Also there is a port in the glove box. It is located on the top of the box and there is a door to pull it down. Make sure it is connected, this can also cause the MOST Bus(Fiber Optic) not to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great response! Ok I'll do that now and respond

Just a request, please do not respond unless it is an update. I have to respond to you when you answer or the question will go to an open status and someone else may pickup, when right now I will get an email every time you respond. I will be glad to help get this fixed, but I want to make sure that I answer you when you get stumped as soon as I can. When we are completed please leave me positive feedback so I will get credit for my time, Thanks in advance.

Hello were you able to get the radio working? Did you find where the light stopped?