Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

I have a 2007 Mini S. It is a turbo. I replaced the timing

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S. It is a turbo. I replaced the timing chain. Set it as in video with the Mini tools. It runs fine at idle but when I give it gas it sputters and bogs down.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you put the gas on a little it sounds like a valve knock, if you keep it at that position it will in no better words break free and run like crazy. I replaced ALL timing components
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem sound like you may not have the timing chain aligned properly if you are getting valve train noise but I would start first with having the computer system scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there to determine the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If your not setting any fault codes and you did not have this problem then I would double check your cam timing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the timing with the mini cam set tool set. Everything looks set. As for doing it before I do not know because was not running when I got it. The valve cover was off
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay assuming the cam timing is okay then If its bogging down with no codes setting then the next step would be to perform a fuel pressure test and see if the pressure holds when it bogs down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got a P173B code, I checked it twice it is P173B. I have no info on that code as to what it is.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im not finding a code P173B are you sure its not a P0173 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure thats why I checked it twice. I could not find it either
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The only code that would come close is the P0173 which is a lean code. Did you ever check you fuel pressure and are you sure the MAF sensor intake hose is sealing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure is fine and hose is connected with no signs of breakage
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well I am not sure how to advise you at this point, if you would like I can relist the question for you and see if someone else has something new to offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have not heard from anyone and I have no notification that this question has been opened to other mechanics. If you can still help me I would appreciate it. The car still has a rattle sometimes when we crank it like a valve rattle, everthing has been replaced and rechecked to make sure it was installed correctly. I am just at a loss here.