Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

I'm reading through this thread which sounds very similar to

Customer Question

Hi. I'm reading through this thread which sounds very similar to my situation. I don't see that a resolution was ever achieved though.
http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/7qb5f-325i-92-325i-95-s50-swap-no-spark-fuel.html
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I assume you have a lack of spark, can you also check to see if the engine has injector pulse as well as proper fuel pressure and good compression and post back with the results and we can work from there to try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron - sorry for my delay this time. Some background - this issue is an S50 swap into a 318i, e36.I checked for spark. Spark is present. I checked by pulling the plugs and coils and holding them close to the valve cover and cranking. I confirmed visually spark on all 6 cylinders. I also checked injector pulse with a noid light and confirmed pulse on all six cylinders. Compression also checked out OK. Approx. 150ish across all 6 cylinders.I currently am running with open headers (new cat. converter hasn't been delivered yet). Is it possible that the lack of signal from the O2 sensor would cause a no start?Other notes: Main relay works, fuel pump relay is functional, and when i jump the fuel pump with a wire I can hear it running and pumping fuel. When i try to start, i still end up with no start, so i'm inclined to lean away from fuel delivery as an issue.When i try to start the car, it sounds like a few cylinders are firing, as i hear a popping from the engine.I performed the stomp test, as the car is OBD1, and get code 1281. I also have a peake scanner and got code 1A. My research on this seems to indicate that both of these are voltage supply issues to the dme, but also happen when a battery or dme has been disconnected and tend to not mean much. I tried starting with another known good battery and had the same issues.Last note, i am running the 413 silver dme, w/ EWSII, but i have a turner motorsports ews delete chip. The engine and dme are 11/95 build date. The chassis is 12/94 (w/ EWSI). Every crank, no start thread i read suggests the crank sensor. I tried this previously with no change in results. Also, with a spark and injector pulse confirmed, crank signal wouldn't be the issue.Maybe a severe vacuum leak is my next check?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

A lack of signal from the HO2S should not cause a no start. If your getting injector pulse as well as proper fuel pressure and your compression checks okay then the engine should start, have you verified you have proper fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the fuel pressure last night - 51 psi with the pump jumped, and about 45 psi maintained when the car is off. I relieved the pressure to the testing gauge and tried cranking the car. I got the same results - so I know the pump is on and providing pressure when the car is turning over. I also pinched the line for a second after the gauge and the pressure went up. I believe this indicates that the pump is able to keep up with the load (fuel injectors firing).Should i test the injectors themselves to make sure they are functional?I guess the last variable here is air. Do I need to perform a smoke test to find vacuum leaks since i can't get the car to start? I am not crazy about spraying starting fluid around the engine while it's cranking.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

A vacuum leak would not usually cause a no start . Your fuel pressure sound okay so did you ever check and see if you are getting injector pulse?