CHEVYEATER351
CHEVYEATER351, BMW Technician
Experience:  Worked for BMW for 6 years, have current BMW master rating.
76711631

I have a 2002, 325I with 261000 miles on it. I had some work

Customer Question

I have a 2002, 325I with 261000 miles on it. I had some work done on the car: lower control arms replaced, oil pan gasket replaced and an oil change.
A week after of driving the car I took the car in for CA emissions testing. The car passed everything but the OBDII monitor check. Secondary air and O2 heater monitors were incomplete. I drove the car 1100 miles and no joy still incomplete.
I took it to the shop I had the above mentioned work completed. They did an update on the computer and reset all the monitors. All monitors were set as complete after 140miles of driving for the exception of the secondary air and O2 heater monitors. There were no trouble codes and the car is running well.
Since then I start the car in the morning (cold start, 8 hours without running), OAT is between 67-74 degrees. I let the car warm up with the air conditioner and rear window defroster on for about 3-5 minutes. I hear the air pump run for about 90 seconds. Now it has been about 800 miles since the software update and reset. No joy on the secondary air and O2 heater monitors and still no trouble codes. The tech wants to reset the monitors again and I am not convinced that that will accomplish anything. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: BMW
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I agree with you resetting the parameters is not going to solve your issue. What I suggest you do is have the shop run a Air Pump System test to make sure the hoses to the Air Pump and the valve are good, then monitor the O2 Sensors to make sure they are sweeping. I have a feeling that the Air Pump works but the valve or a hose is not operating and this is your issue. You could also do a visual check of the air pump hose and see if you are able to actually see the hole or a cut in the hose. Make sure to look completely around the hose not to miss the underside where it is more difficult to see a mirror should do the trick.