Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I've been having trouble with my BMW 320i 2.2 tourer 2002

Customer Question

Hi, I've been having trouble with my BMW 320i 2.2 tourer 2002 (E46) Originally, I took it to a garage with the symptoms of smelling oil coming into the cabin. The garage said it would be an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust and causing the smell. The garage had the car 10days and told me it was the oil filter housing, and that I would have to have new seals as the engine would have to be taken apart to get to the problem. I know that the injectors were removed during this point along with the manifold and new gaskets put on. However, when I finally had the car back, I have had split second belch of white smoke after going up a mountain road and down the other side...then touch the accelerator. This doesn't happen when driving around town. I went back to the garage and they replaced the bottom breather pipe that connects to the dipstick, and the elbow pipe at the top of the engine. Also, upon advice from a mechanic on this site, I also had the CCTV replaced. Still have the same problem. The smell of oil coming into the cabin is worse than ever and the white smoke seems to smell of excess burning fuel, not oil. I'm also losing oil very quickly. I topped up 3 weeks ago and it needed another 2 litres today. Is it possible the original fitter damaged the injectors? I hope you can shed some light on this. Thanks, Fiona
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Based upon the symptoms, this could be an intake gasket torn or possibly the valve seals and guides