Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2008 BMW X3 won't start. Battery seems fine. EML light is on

Customer Question

2008 BMW X3 won't start. Battery seems fine. EML light is on when I try to start.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi,
what question can I answer for you about this?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi, can you please clarify what type of information it is that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 BMW X3 does not start. Been a little problem for past week or two. EML light comes on. BMW not open today but salesman suggested I try to jump start.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

by far the most likely cause is a failure of the starter

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

this is very common on your engine and would require the starter be replaced.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

other possibilities would be a faulty key (try a second one), a faulty brake light switch, transmission switch or immobilizer/car access system issue

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if you have not tried a jump start that would certainly be worth trying. also try starting in park and neutral, make sure the shifter is fully in park, also lock/unlock the doors mecanicall a few times, unhook the battery for an hour to reset all systems, and check EVERY fuse

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

however, you will most likely need to have the car towed for a replacement starter

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.