Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2003 525I. The car sat -3 weeks. During that time I

Customer Question

I have a 2003 525I. The car sat for 2-3 weeks. During that time I started it 1-2 times and it did not sound normal and almost stalled. I thought the oil was low or something.
A week later I try to start and it will not turn over. Replaced fuel filter and pump. Still won't turn over. Makes noise and cranks but it's a weird sound. Tried to diagnose it and no codes.
Checked compression in one of the plug area's and nothing, and then put finger in and nothing when we tried to start.
Some have said that the cylinders are washed and to pull plugs and put oil in them and all that.
What should I do at this point with very limited experience? I had a mechanic do the pump and filter and he thinks it's a timing chain.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

what is compression in all cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know. He only tested one. I do know that when he pulled out the plug it was black.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

all cylinders should be checked. if the are all low/no compression, then you should add oil to see if the rings seal

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if it doesn't come back, then it probably is timing chain related

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.