Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Mini started up just fine running smooth got onto ghway and

Customer Question

mini started up just fine running smooth got onto highway and my cruise control would not set tried 3 times pulled over truned engine off and then tried to start would not crank tow home
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Being that this vehicle is essentially a BMW any diagnosis of the electrical system will be better performed with a compatible scan tool, but I think there are a few things you could check first:

Do the brake lights work?

If the cruise isn't working it is usually related to the brake pedal position switch malfunctioning. The cruise relies on this circuit to activate.

The starting system does as well. If a signal isn't coming from the brake pedal position switch, the starter will not engage either.

The fact that both of these items is acting up makes me suspect the brake switch and the best way to test it without a scan tool is to see if the brake lights will come on when the pedal is pressed.

Let me know if they work and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I have brake lights mini is at my mech. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The cruise control thing has me thrown, I'm trying to figure out what could be causing both issues and if they are even related at all. Without the vehicle and some diagnostic codes it's tough. The cruise and the starting relay share a similar circuit in the fuse junction box which, on the 2007 model is notorious for water intrusion and subsequently corrosion. I would have the mechanic check for signs of water in the junction box first. I would also check fuse #31 which runs the security control module. I can't tell whether it would affect the cruise module also though.

The mechanic should also check for codes in the CAS (car access module) which is the vehicle's anti-theft computer.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!