JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  12 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

Jay - a friend had my car "scanned" yesterday and it

Customer Question

Hi Jay - a friend had my car "scanned" yesterday and it indicated that the Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor Guide is bad - couple of questions - how does this go bad and roughly how much is it to fix?
We located the sensor part online however curious about other parts that may be required and roughly how much in labor to expect - I have a 2008 BMW 328i - also, my car just turned $96k, is there any of other maintenance issues I should also address during this repair? Being a female I would like to have as much information as possible! Thanks so much!
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

When you say you located the part online, is this from a reputable source? Can you provide me with a link so I can view it?

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking at RockAuto as well as Pelican Parts
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion I would stay away from parts from rockauto for a BMW. Especially the eccentric shaft sensors. I've seen them fail far sooner than OEM ones. The BMW OEM from pelican parts is about twice the price, but you get what you pay for. Stick with OEM BMW.

The sensor fails simply because it weras out electrically, and can no longer pick up the signal it needs to from the engine.

As far as other needed maintenance, aside from the normal services, oil and air filter, the spark plugs need to be changed at 100k. That is really all the required maintenance that is needed at this mileage. Any other part on the vehicle only needs to be addressed if its worn out. Not at any particular mileage.

Please be sure to leave a positive rating please.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - So would you kindly answer the original questions - how much should I expect to pay for the repair - labor only and complete job and what parts are needed for the job??
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.

Labor is about 7 hours at $85-130 per hour, dealer will be higher, independent European shop on the low end. Part through dealer is around $500, so through pelican would be the way to go for OEM.

-JP