Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

Pete the engine on my 2003 BMW N42 has ceased up due to my

Customer Question

Hi Pete the engine on my 2003 BMW N42 has ceased up due to my own stupid fault (I changed the oil and forgot to screw in the sump plug then drove it. I now find myself having to buy a second hand engine. Why does everyone I meet tell me that the engines are crap and smoke and I could end up with the police putting a yellow sticker on the car. are they really that bad?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Used engines are fine to use just buy it from a reputable scrap yard and with a warranty so if there is a issue with burning oil you can get it replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have a history of smoking that cant be stopped? Are they a reliable engine?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

No they don't have a history of smoking and yes it is a reliable engine as long as it is maintained.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you do to the second hand engine before you reinstalled it? being out of the car would it make it easier for the mechanics to replace parts that would extend the engines life. What parts would you replace?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Cooling system parts oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket. And with the valve cover removed you can tell the service life of the engine. Lots of gunk build up means neglect nut none means well maintained.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the gunk be removed? Is there some treatment that can extend its life.
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

not really but I would return the engine and get another. Just oil changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is gunked up will it still function OK?. the problem is no one will give me a warranty on a N42 engine. They say the have too many problems to give a warranty. If it is gunked up am I buying a dud that will break down in no time. Are there preventative measures I can take apart from what you have already suggested?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Thats unfortunate if it is gunked up you would need to tear it down and clean and rebuild the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Might have no choice other than to write it off
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Doesnt sound like you have a lot of choices if no one will stand behind a used engine and a new unit would be too expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you do. i only bought the car for $7500 but we really like it, it has great bodywork and leather features. Im prepared to spend $7k on repairs. really just want to get a couple of years out of it.
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

That is a tough decision. For another $7k you could get another one and use this one as a parts car. I would not recommend putting the cost of a vehicle into the vehicle.