Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2008 bmw x5, I have had a slight rattle from under

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2008 bmw x5, I have had a slight rattle from under front (sounds like driver wheel somewhere) when i go over cats eyes etc in the road, sounded like something loose (not engine related) but this evening i had a different noise from what sounds like nearer the engine.? no engine lights or lack of performance, i did not drive it far as sounds terrible from outside. (possibly something trapped in belt area and was thinking possible timing chain tensioner) but would that not effect engine lights etc.? thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question exactly did youw ant answered about all of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you have any idea what the now engine sound could be? And do you think it would be safe to drive it to a local auto shop.? Again there is no engine warning light on. Thxs
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

a noise from one wheel would commonly be a failing wheel bearing

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the noise from the engine would possibly be a belt driven component starting to fail (alternator, compressor, etc)

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

also a failure of the crankcase ventilation system can commonly cause noises as well.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest checking for excess suction under the filler oil cap with the engine running. if there is high suction, don't drive the car. if there is not high suction, assuming performance has not been affected, then it should be okay to drive a short distance to a shop, but you should pay keen attention to performance and watch for any warnings such as an overheat, battery, etc.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you