Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

How can I reset the ECU on a 05 BMW 330i apparently it's

Customer Question

How can I reset the ECU on a 05 BMW 330i apparently it's messing up and making it read coolant temp sensor closed loop fuel control already replaced both coolant temp sensors twice will read cold hot cold hot if shut off won't start
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on new years eve. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the ecu can be reset by unhooking the car battery for an hour.

if it needs an actual reprogramming, it will need to be reprogrammed by a BMW main dealer or shop with dealer equipment.

you can find a non dealer specialist on www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well okay I replace both coolant temp sensors and now the temperature gauge hand jumps from cold too hot and once it goes hot it's hard to crank its almost like its flooded what is causing this
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

hi, if you have a new question about diagnosing a specific issue you have, please open a new thread.

as the current question regarding resetting the ECU has been answered, please kindly select a rating of 3 stars or higher to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

a positive rating is 3 stars or higher. thank you.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.