Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2001 BMW E46 that overheats 20 to 25 minutes after

Customer Question

I have a 2001 BMW E46 that overheats 20 to 25 minutes after reaching operating temperature. Yesterday I replaced water pump, thermostat, hoses, expansion tank and coolant temperature sensor. Only item I did not replace was the radiator. vehicle still overheats after 20 to 25 minutes after reaching operating temperature. I have bled the system multiple times and check for leaks and did not find any. could this be a sign of clogged radiator?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the answer to your question is yes. this could be a clogged radiator or other flow restriction

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I would also suggest having the cooling system tested for a blown head gasket, just in case.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

also make sure the fans are operating properly.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

please let me know if you have further questions, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i find out if my car should have 2 fans? my car only has one that slides between the expansion tank and the radiator
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

most of these cars have one mechanical fan and one electric fan. there is next to no chance one is missing or you would have much bigger issues.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

it could vary by bulid date, however. the vin would need to be run to verify. again next to no chance anyting is missing

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will check into that then because I've had my car for over a year now and it only has one fan and I never had any overheating issues. I have seen the other 3 series bmw's that have the fan clutch attached to a pulley but i don't have that and also it seems i wouldn't have any space to put one if i wanted to
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if you have an electric fan and no room for a mechanical one, then you never had a mechanical one.

just make sure the electric one is working

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.