Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2004 BMW 325I with the SMG transmission. The

Customer Question

I have a 2004 BMW 325I with the SMG transmission. The transmission warning light (!) comes on often. Normally after I reverse the warning light comes on when I attempt to shift into the D mode. I must then turn the car off and wait fir the light to go off before I can restart and proceed. Now I'm getting a service engine warning which is offering a code P0700.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

hello, what question would you like answered about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think the problem is? The smg pump and relay were replaced 1000 miles ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I think the problem is most likely a failed SMG control unit, or mechanical gearing issue

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

unfortunately the smg transmission cannot be diagnosed with a p code reader, so the actual BMW faults will need to be scanned and proper test plans run as suggested with a BMW factory scan tool or equivalent

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if you need a non dealer for this, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer. thank you

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

a positive rating is 3 stars or higher. thank you

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.