Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2008 BMW 605i. I am getting the warning on the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 BMW 605i. I am getting the warning on the dashboard "Transm. malfunction - Gear can be engaged without depressing the brake. Drive moderately! Have the system checked by the...". A couple of times I experienced a slight motor rev before warning. Once at a stop sign, it rev'd and died. Another time, it did a little bucking. Warning message is cleared after shutting off and restarting. Sometimes I can just continue driving, but always, once I shut off and restart, everything is okay. I was told that there is a battery charging issue with this car and that if the battery is getting low, that may be causing some problems. I am going to check the voltage and see. Any other suggestions?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
This system and this warning are intended to be diagnosed with a bmw scan tool, so the best suggestion I can give you is to invest in a proper fault scan. You could also replace the brake switch but this would be guess work.
If you need a non dealer for this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I can't see paying $26 to be told that it has to be diagnosed by a scan tool. I am only engaging a expert to get solutions and apparently you don't have enough information to give me anything useful. Thanks for being honest. I assumed that the particular message would give an expert enough information to give me a couple possible solutions. Getting that particular warning while I am moving and while I am not touching the brake is puzzling.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have answered the question as best as possible given provided information. No professional would advise any first step other than a fault scan. That is ALWAYS the first step with a warning like this. Anyone who tells you different is guessing with your money and doing you a huge disservice.As the question has been answered, please kindly select a rating of 3 stars or higher to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer out of the funds which you have already paid to open the question. Thank you in advance for honoring your commitment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I went to this website hoping to get an answer so that I could fix something and would not have to got to a repair shop and pay for a diagnostic. I am no closer to fixing the problem than before I asked the question. Therefore, I am not satisfied with the non-helpful answer. It is the best you can give me, but it really wasn't helpful.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

hi, I can only answer the question that is asked, based on provided information, which I have done. You asked for "any suggestions" and I have made suggestions. Even if the issue was possible to pinpoint, there is very little chance that a non professional could fix it at home regardless, so avoiding taking the car to a shop was never really a possible outcome. As you have already paid to ask your question, please kindly select a rating of 3 stars or higher to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer. thank you in advance.