peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have 2002 BMW 745Li that wont start. It wont crank when I

Customer Question

I have 2002 BMW 745Li that wont start. It wont crank when I push the start button, and I hear nothing! Had it Towed home and next morning the car starts for few days with no problem. Same thing happend to me again NO CRANK or noise when I push the start button, towed home, then start up fine the next morning again! Battery seem good, all lights and horn is bright and strong and loud. AC came on, No trouble codes, all fuses are good, car is in park, it reconized remote key! What could be the problem? I see people are having my same issue! Don(###) ###-####
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component that will fail and can be intermittent like this here is the starter solenoid itself or the starter relay.I have seen these act up before causing this intermittent fault.The relay and the starter will need tested when the vehicle is acting up to locate which is the cause here.On some models you can tap on either the relay or the starter while someone tries to start the engine and if while tapping on one of these components the engine then turns over and starts the component you tapped on needs replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the starter relay located? Where is the starter located? You don't think it's the IVM? How much should a starter relay cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you tell if the IVM is bad and wouldn't this unit cause my no start at times?

The starter motor is located under the engine on the passenger side as seen in the link below.

Do you see a theft or security light blinking on the dash at all when it won't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No security light flash when couldn't start. Where is the starter relay located!

My info isn't showing me the exact location of this relay on your model here but it is called the Comfort control relay.Check and see if in your under hood fuse and relay panel if you can locate this relay.If you can this is the start interrupt relay.If you cannot let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not answered the question about the IVM, people are telling me IVM maybe my issue is this a common problem and most importantly how can I tell if my IVM is good or bad! I still see no such relay!

The IVM is a possibility here and can be common.Unfortunately my info isn't showing a way to test this to be sure this is the cause here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
open it up, I need all the help I can get!

No problem

I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete