sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jacob I have have a 98 740il that has a few problems the

Customer Question

Hi Jacob I have have a 98 740il that has a few problems the main problem is the engine won't rev past 3500-4000 rpms. I do have a bad coil on #7 cyl and my spedo is intermittent (I'm assuming that's why I have a vss code) but the rev problem was their before anything else. its very consistent regardless of engine load and acts just like a rev limiter. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you have a failed coil and are down a cylinder then that's going to need to be repaired first. Whether you're down a cylinder and are just lacking that power, or the engine controller is seeing the coil issue and imposing a lower rev limiter, if you know that you have a failed coil that is definitely going to need to be repaired before going further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I all ready knew that as I stated in my question the rev problem was their first.I am a mechanic my self and Avionics tech. I really need a BMW tech not someone trying to get payed for obvious answers.
Regardless of the order you noticed the symptoms if you know you have a failed coil replacing it is the first thing that needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I got ya. I was hoping for I've seen that before...........I'll RR the coil and get back to you
Ok.