Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I just got a used 2004 325i with 180000 miles on it its been

Customer Question

I just got a used 2004 325i with 180000 miles on it its been well kept but when it gets warm it idles really rough and sound like a knocking but only when it geys hot cant hear this sound at all any other time.the man I bought it from said it was the intake hose would a bad intake hose cause this to happen
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
a bad intake hose could definitely cause rough running and rough idle, but is less likely to cause a knocking sound, although as I am sure you can appreciate it is very difficult to diagnose a sound one cannot hear first hand.
this definitely is not normal either way so should be checked out by a professional immediately. If you need a good shop that is less expensive than a dealer, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.birms.org
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took car to autozone to have them check the codes and see if the could tell me autozone said plugs 1 2 and 3 where miss firing could it be a combination of the intake hose and the plugs
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.
Yes, it is possible. A single cylinder misfire can be a plug or coil (among other less common things), and if the problem is only when hot it points more to the coils, not plugs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its doing it hot or not now so should i check plugs and coils for starters and replace intake hose if i replace those things and it still does it.what else could it be? also there was a lite that came on that said eml whats.that??
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should change plugs and coils and the hose. If it still does it then you will want to check the crankcase ventilation system, airflow sensor, injectors, fuel pressure, for other air leaks, temp sensor and throttle.
I am not able to answer an additional, extra question about the eml light until I revive proper credit for answering the original question, via positive rating. Once I receive a positive rating for answering the original question, I will answer the eml light free of charge (by site policy it should be its own, full price question, but I will answer here)
As the original question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
are you having a technical problem selecting a positive rating?