Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2001 BMW X5 4.4i (E53). There is a problem with the

Customer Question

Hello experts I have a 2001 BMW X5 4.4i (E53). There is a problem with the ABS system. When the ABS module is plugged into the car and I start driving the abs system will start activating the brakes making it unable to drive it. I have kept the ABS module unplugged so I can drive it but I have no speedo or odometer. I get a check engine light, traction control light, and ABS light on the dash with the ABS module unplugged. Also I replaced the wheel sensors to try and fix the problem but it didn't change anything. Could it be that the wheel sensors weren't the right ones for the vehicle?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the answer to your question "Could it be that the wheel sensors weren't the right ones for the vehicle?" is yes, however, it is more likely the abs module, pump or another sensor is the problem.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was going to order a new abs module but the guy on the phone (abs reman company) said these aren't the symptons of a failing abs module. But I should start by changing the wheel sensors first?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
I am sorry but I cannot speak to what he said. this could very well be a failing module.
there is very little chance that you installed incorrect sensors if they fit and the connectors fit. this was poor advice regardless
both you and the reman guy are guessing - this tends to get expensive very quickly. What you should really do is invest in a proper diagnostic that will pinpoint the issue with certainty. this will cost only 1 or 2 hours of labor, and then there will be no guess work and no buying parts that don't fix the issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
.