Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

How do i tighten the rear hatch nges. they were replaced a

Customer Question

hi
how do i tighten the rear hatch hinges. they were replaced a year ago and the left one seems a bit off. the hatch is listing right. there's a larger than normal gap between the hatch and the left pillar
i realize the one torx nut...easy to get at....the other one seems flat and without any kind of notch for a tool.
thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Can you please state the make, model and year of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 mini cooper.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
you have a problem with the torx screw that is on the interior side, or the one that fits directly on the hatch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if it is the torx screw or the one that is directly internal on the body itself. obviously, the one with the torx screw is easy to access. what about the other one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
incidentally, all that is in my original question.....
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The one on the body is only accessible from the interior. The rear side of the headline requires moving aside for access.
Just to confirm, it is numbered 1 in this photo:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzT0V5SDJMQmJUeDQ/view?usp=sharing
And did you try loosening the outside torx screws on both hinges, as they should provide some adjustment, without the inners being loosened or removed?
and were the screws replaced with the hinges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
i believe screws were replaced with hinges. daughter's car. job done in ohio. she's now back in ny. just noticed it a couple of days ago.i will have to look when i see her later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think the problem is more figure 1 than 2 but playing wth 2 first makes sense
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Take your time, and get back to me with the results, having checked whether it can be adjusted loosening the outside screws only (as they provide a decent range), and if not, kindly confirm the bolt being number one in the diagram.
PS: usually adjustment is made by loosening screw number 2, the one on the hatch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. will let you know
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what size torx wrench do i need?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
i don't remember the size, but being a mini, it should be a T30... not sure though, if i get one in the shop today, i will check it out and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks!
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Again, you're welcome.
Get back to me with the results, so we proceed as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Once you reply, i need to get back to you, so kindly get back to me only when further details are needed, or with the findings, having checked.
Thank you.