Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Lost gas cap at fill up. Replaced gas gas cap but can't get

Customer Question

Lost gas cap at fill up. Replaced gas gas cap but can't get CEL off. Tried disconnecting battery for about half an hour. Will it take mikes to get it to go off? 1999 BMW Z3 2.8
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the light requires a certain number of drive cycles to be completed before it will go off on its own.
alternatively, it can be cleared with a scan tool.
many/most parts stores like autozone will read and clear faults for free.
I would suggest you go to your local parts store, have them read the code (to be sure it related to a missing gas cap) then have it cleared.
assuming the underlying trigger of the light is a gas cap issue, and the new cap is not defective, the light should stay off
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  venus-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/98uo7-z3-2-8-lost-gas-cap-fill-up-replaced-gas-gas-cap-can-t.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.