nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

BMW 323i: brahe lighs does work. replaced L-tale light assembly.

Customer Question

brahe lighs does work. replaced L-tale light assembly. replaced fuse , bulbs good,
brake light switch good< no lights
Category: BMW
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Just to confirm, the brake lights are working, the problem is having the warning on dash that the brake lights are not working?
did you replace the light assembly because you had the warning? or did the warning start after you replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the brake lights are not working. They did for couple days after replacing the L-tail light assembly. That's when I got the warning
on the dash. I tested the socket and it is good. replaced the brake light bulbs on both sides. The only brake light I have is on the trunk lid. I have power to the brake light socket, both sides, but lights don't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried sending this 5 times
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
So you have power, did you check if you have ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have a ground, All other lights in both assembly's works. Turn signals. back up lights, park lights all work.
OHM meter shows that I have a good ground on the brake socket also.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to check using the multimeter, with the connector plugged in, at the back of it (back probe it), and check whether getting power and ground at the brake bulb pins (of course ignition on and brake pedal depressed)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already went though that process and yes, I was getting power and ground at the bulb pins. This morning I tried connecting a OSD2 meter to the computer and the computer would not accept the OSD2 meter. I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure this out.
Does the ABS system have a sepeate computer on this model BMW?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
If you are getting 12 volts, at the pins, with the pins connected to the bulb, and the bulb is not lighting, then the problem is either the bulb or the socket. The light assmeblies are OEM?
The ABS computer is with the traction control computer (ASC, DSC etc..??)
The light control module (integrated in the light switch) is the one that monitors the lights and send a signal to the instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of instrument is needed to check that out?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
To check the fault codes within the lsz (light control module), you need a bmw type scan tool.
But i would first check the resistance of the brake lights as having high resistance would cause this.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried 2 sets of brand new brake lights bulbs. Different brands, but no results.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
The bulbs should not cause this.
Excessive resistance from the bulb sockets might.
Can you check the resistance, or even the resistance directly at the light control module?