Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech
2947720

Jerry , i have 2001 e38 and 4.3 screen is all fuzzy , radio,cd

Customer Question

jerry , i have 2001 e38 and 4.3 screen is all fuzzy , radio,cd works for a few minutes then shuts down , i thought nav unit so replaced with used one from ebay, still same problem , car battery seems fine but magic eye is black ,could that be it ? or do i need to replace whole radio/screen unit ? thx jeff
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today..Is it always fuzzy?.Has the battery been tested? (load tested).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is always fuzzy , and no I haven't had a chance to test battery , it starts and runs fine , I think I but new battery in 4-5 years ago
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks..That could be in the unit itself but the battery should be tested to be sure..I-Bus communication (between the radio, DSP amplifier, BMTM board monitor controls, and NAV computer) is momentarily disrupted by the excessive voltage drop when the vehicle is started. The situation is created by an undercharged battery condition (battery voltage below 12.15V)..There were a couple of service bulletins for them but a fuzzy screen is more than likely in the radio/screen unit itself and not a software issue..
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
If for some reason you don’t wish to rate the answer please state in a post that you are happy with the answers and the service I have provided so that I can send it in as a no click rating and get paid for my time, thanks