nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Clubman: I have a 2008 Clubman S Turbo that lost the timing

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Clubman S Turbo that lost the timing chain. Two questions, first on the damaged block, there is a landing below where the timing chain cassette goes, below the crank sprocket. Does this landing need to be there to support the timing chain cassette? Second, if I need a new engine, on a used engine, how can I determine compatibility from the numbers on the used engine?
Category: BMW
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
The landing does need to be there to support.
As for a new engine, you need to ask for a: N14B16AB engine.
This is the engine code, it should be engraved on the engine block, at the side near the oil filter housing, on top of the crankcase sump, or at the side, where the engine meets the transmission bellhousing.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy, thank you for the information. Everyone is busy, no problem. Another question are the 14B16AB and 14B16AC engines compatible?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The two engines should be the same and compatible (swappable), as some engines only say N14B16A, however, i would get the same engine code, as they are equally available.
Regards,
Billy