Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

M6: My 2007 M6 is giving me intermittent messages of "transmission

Customer Question

My 2007 M6 is giving me intermittent messages of "transmission failure" with the red cog on the dash, and it does fail, at least it slips badly, barley drivable.
I can turn it off and wait awhile, fire it up and it works flawlessly. Sound familiar?
Thank you. Casey
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello Casey,Can you post the last seven digits of the VIN number for me? How long can you drive it before the slippage starts occuring? Do you notice it more under load or while driving up inclines?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I provided info requested, VIN #, etc. I am waiting for a response? Casey
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello Casey, It looks like that posting never made it to the website. All I see is my request to you and then your response that you provided the information. There must have been some hiccup. Can you re-post that information please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last 7 digits of VIN.
GY78341
I can drive it 5 to 20 miles before I get the message and problem, I don't have a lot of history it's only happened about 4 times so dont have a pattern. Under load or going up a hill does not seem to affect it. Casey
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello Casey,I looked up problems on this SMG system on your M6 with S85 engine. This problem can range from something simple to very complex and expensive. The key is going to having the fault memory read out. Preferably by the dealer. This could be a gear blocking fault and the fix is only programming. This applies to vehicles up to 2008 production. There is also information on hydraulic pump failures and full smg unit failures. It will depend on the fault code to see if it fits under this problem. In this case the pump or entire hydraulic unit will need to be replaced. Also this could be just a slipping clutch. This will set a clutch slippage fault and which would help indicate that the transmission needs to be removed to inspect the clutch material. I am hoping this only end up needing programming. This would only cost about 1.5 hours in labor. The other repairs can run in the thousands unfortunately. I hope this is helpful. Once the codes are read out it will help narrow down the problem quite a bit. The fault should be stored because you did see the red cog warning.Please remember to provide a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for helping. Thank you!Best Regards,Roger