Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2006 BMW Z4 E85 is having increasing electrical issues.

Customer Question

My 2006 BMW Z4 E85 is having increasing electrical issues. First, the radio (with navigation) became intermittent, then the airbag light came on, the courtesy light fades on and off off while driving, and the heated seats don't work. When plugging in an OBDII code reader, nothing was returned but all things worked after doing that until I turned the car off and restarted it. All issues then returned. I therefore did not start pulling fuses as things worked once the reader was plugged in. I have disconnected the battery overnight twice and that did not work. I am trying to avoid an expensive trip to the dealership.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi, can you please clarify what exactly your question is about this? do you want to know possible causes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Some say ignition switch, some say a bad ground somewhere. Yesterday I started it up and all things worked. (I did have a set of golf clubs leaning on the passenger seat.) So what could possibly affect the radio/nav (unresponsive), the airbag light(on at the dash and flashing on the console, and the courtesy light glowing on and off while driving ALL AT ONCE? What is the issue?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the problem is most commonly the ignition switch so that is the first place to start.
it is possible that it could be a bad ground, but that is not common on this model
the other thing that can sometimes cause this is a failed control unit which causes interference and takes other systems offline. To diagnose this, you would either need a scan with a BMW factory scan tool, or to start unhooking every component module in the car one by one by one until the remaining systems came back online, thus identifying the problem module
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.