Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I AM REPLACING THE COMPLETE CLUTCH ON A MINI COOPER S

Customer Question

HI I AM REPLACING THE COMPLETE CLUTCH ON A MINI COOPER S 2010 DUE TO SEVERE CLUTCH SLIP NO REAL PROBLEM REMOVED GEARBOX CLUTCH WORN DOWN TO RIVETS NOT VERY IMPRESSED AS CAR ONLY COVERED 35000 MILES BUT HAS BEEN DRIVEN BY A LADY CLIENT OF OURS WHO ADMITS
LEAVING HER FOOT COVERING THE CLUTCH PEDAL BOUGHT A COMPLETE CLUTCH KIT FROM BMW AFTER CHECKING ALL PARTS ARE RIGHT I READ THE NOTES ENCLOSED WITH THE KIT AND IT REFERS TO PRELOADING THE CLUTCH COVER USING A BMW SPECIAL TOOL WHICH NO ONE SEAMS TO HAVE OR AS
SEEN BEFORE I UNDRESTAND THE NOTES BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE NEW COVER IT LOOKS TO BE FULLY SET BACK ON THE RATCHET AND AFTER OFFERING THE COVER AND DRIVE PLATE WITH A UNIVEARSAL CLUTCH ALIGNEMENT TOOL TO THE FLYWHEEL IT GOES ONTO THE DOWELS AND COULD BOLT
THE COVER AND DRIVE PLATE TO THE FLY WHEEL WITHOUT USING FORCE AS A CONVENTIONAL CLUTCH WOULD . WOULD THIS BE OK OR DOES THE CLUTCH COVER NEED TO BE PRELOADED EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKS TO BE FULLY BACK ON THE RATCHET THANKS ANDY ENGLISH AUTO SERVICES SPAIN
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello Andy,The new clutch pressure plate comes with the lock so all you need to do is install with the centering pin and take off the "ninja star" lock on the pressure plate and then it pre-loads itself. You only need the tool on certain clutch set ups. This is common on BMW's. I looked up a clutch removal and installation on a Mini R52 2010 and it does not state that you need the tool for a clutch on that vehicle. It only shows the centering tool. If you have a new pressure plate with the lock on it you won't even need the tool. I hope this is helpful. Please provide a positive rating for my help today. Thank you!Best Regards,Roger