Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

328ic: Any way to help me figure out how to manually close

Customer Question

Any way to help me figure out how to manually close an automatic top for a 97 e36?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help you with this. To manually release your top look under the rear seat. There is a lever that you pull outward that releases the motors located in the trunk. Then you will need two people to lift the top in its normal close sequence. At that point in the front of the top by the top of the windshield there is a cover that you will need to remove. Under that is an access point to use an allen screw to manually close the latches for the top while supplying gentle downward pressure. This is the emergency top close procedure for your top.I hope this helps you to get the top closed. Please remember to select positive feedback for my help today as this is the only way I receive credit for helping. Thank you!Best regards,Roger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried this. Turning the allen screw both directions hundreds of times. I can not see any change either way.Which direction should I turn the screw while closing? Is this something else I should look for that could be stopping it from going down (the windows are lowered). Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? The basic answer at the top is no more than every website gives. I know that info already. I need more information, as shown by me continuing to ask questions. It has been 5 days since I paid for this answer. A cut and paste answer from another site isn't going to be enough. Is there another expert that has more detailed information like I asked in the second question?
Thanks for your time.