peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

M3: I have a 2004 BMW M3 SMG, I am having an issue that I can't

Customer Question

I have a 2004 BMW M3 SMG, I am having an issue that I can't find any information on. The car will not start after its been driven for 15 mins or so. It starts and drives just as it always has as long as it has been sitting for 4-5 hours. If i go somewhere in it i have to leave it running. It shows no codes, the only things that are not right by the scanner is no matter if the door is opened or closed the scanner shows it to be closed. Also another funny thing is the car will crank with the hood open. I have been told that it could be the plcd sensor in the clutch slave cylinder. Which would require a complete slave cylinder replacement. I also hear a not normal noise when I switch the gear selector between N and 1 with the car off. It almost sounds like a small pressure leak a slight whistle noise. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component that will cause a starting issue like this here is usually the crank position sensor itself.If this sensor is acting up it usually occurs after the engine has warmed up and been shut off.This can be difficult to diagnose as the cause as well as usually it doesn't set a fault code.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The crank sensor is 155.00 bucks, are there step to check the crank sensor t ok make sure its bad before I go spending that money on a possibility. Like what kind of voltage and signal should the crank sensor for a 04 bmw m3? Thanks

You would use a scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to monitor the data list on the scan tool/computer for the RPM signal when cranking over the engine with the key.You should see some kind of RPM signal when cranking it over when this occurs.If there is no RPM signal then the crank sensor needs replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not turn over when it won't crank, it does nothing when I turn the key. But it will crank fine after it sits for 4-5 hours.

With a no crank issue this may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch.This can be a common component to fail and cause issues like this here.
This will need checked/tested when the vehicle is acting up with a multi meter and appropriate scan tool to monitor data from it.If found to be faulty it will need replaced.
Thanks Pete
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am aware that it is a ignition system issue.. there are several things the ignition asks permission from before it will allow the car to start. I was looking for a more specific answer with the clues I gave in the first post. I didn't want to just be changing parts and guessing.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be great ty